Address: 17 Charterhouse St, London EC1N 6RA
Social media handles:
- Twitter – @AngloAmerican
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/anglo-american/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/AngloAmerican
- Instagram – @angloamericanplc
Description: Anglo American is a leading global mining company, with a world class portfolio of mining and processing operations and undeveloped resources. We employ more than 95,000 people around the world, in 15 countries, and our products include diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum group metals, the steelmaking ingredients of iron ore and metallurgical coal, and nickel – with crop nutrients coming soon.
Products and/or services: We provide many of the essential metals and minerals that are fundamental to the transition to a low carbon economy and enabling a cleaner, greener, more sustainable world, as well as meeting the growing consumer-driven demands of the world’s developed and maturing economies. And we do so in a way that not only generates sustainable returns for our shareholders, but that also strives to make a real and lasting positive contribution to society as a whole.
Notable achievements to date:
- Through our longstanding PGM market development activities, including our $100 million investment in AP Ventures, an independent venture capital fund with a mandate to invest in the development of new applications for the full suite of PGMs, we have been investing in a wide range of promising new technologies and in companies in the fuel cell, hydrogen and energy-storage value chain.
- An important part of our ambition is to become carbon neutral by 2040 across all our mining operations, one way in which we seek to achieve this is by powering our own mining trucks with hydrogen produced from renewable power. As part of an integrated mine-decarbonisation programme that we envisage, we have partnered with several companies to develop and fuel the world’s largest hydrogen powered mine haul truck.
- We are also undertaking a feasibility study to develop a “hydrogen valley” that will be anchored in the platinum group metals-rich Bushveld geological area in South Africa. The proposed valley is seeking to integrate green hydrogen into the local economy and industrial sectors, leveraging the scale of hydrogen production from the local mine to supply adjacent uses.
- Anglo American has partnered with Umicore to research and develop a ground-breaking technology that has the potential to transform the way hydrogen can be stored and used to power fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs). The joint R&D programme aims to take the process through which hydrogen is chemically bonded to a liquid (known as a liquid organic hydrogen carrier or LOHC) a step further, targeting new PGMs-based catalyst technologies that can be installed directly in FCEVs and other forms of transport.
For more information, please contact:
Jan Klawitter Head of International Policy Jan.Klawitter@angloamerican.com
Michillay Brown Corporate Relations Principal – Hydrogen Michillay.Brown@angloamerican.com